The investigation for 7/11 blast in which 189 people died was under question mark from the very first month after the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad started arresting the accused from different parts of city. Within 10 days of blast by July 22, 2006, ATS arrested all the 13 terror accused in the case under the leadership of ATS chief, K P Raghuvanshi.
A public interest litigation was filed on Monday in the Bombay high court demanding that probe into the July 13 serial Mumbai blasts should be transferred to Central Bureau of Investigation.
A special court, in its acquittal order in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, has highlighted a running battle between the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and the National Investigation Agency (NIA), pointing out stark contradictions in their probe.
Investigations into 13/7 Mumbai serial blasts case has revealed that there have been no cell phone records and no intercepts from Pakistan.
The agency officials said they are studying the judgment and an appeal would soon be filed in the Supreme Court.
The police on Saturday sounded alert in Mumbai after a mysterious letter threatened of multiple bomb blasts in different places, including the Raj Bhawan and the chief minister's residence.
Police are examining the past records of the arrested men in the sarpanch Santosh Deshmukh murder case and a related case of extortion to decide if the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) should be invoked, sources said on Thursday. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said he had requested senior lawyer Ujjwal Nikam to appear as a special prosecutor in the murder case. The Crime Investigation Department (CID) has sought old case papers and chargesheets against the arrested men. Deshmukh, the sarpanch of Massajog village in Beed, was abducted and brutally killed on December 9, allegedly for opposing an extortion bid by some persons who had demanded money from a windmill company. Beed Police has put up posters seeking information about whereabouts of three wanted accused in the murder case. CM Fadnavis said he spoke to BJP MLA from Beed, Suresh Dhas who demanded that Nikam be appointed as special public prosecutor in the case. Nikam was a special public prosecutor in several high-profile cases, including the 26/11 terror attacks and 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts. Congress leader Vijay Wadettiwar claimed that "smaller fish" could be killed in fake encounters to save the "big fish" involved in the Deshmukh murder and extortion cases. Leader of Opposition in the Maharashtra legislative council Ambadas Danve said the trial in the case should be conducted outside Beed district. NCP leader Dhananjay Munde, who has come under fire after the alleged involvement of his aide Karad in the extortion matter came to light, said those who murdered Santosh Deshmukh should be tried in a fast-track court and "hanged till death." The government on Wednesday set up a 10-member SIT to probe the case, headed by Deputy Inspector General -CID Basavraj Teli.
In 2023, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) had carried out searches at Padgha as part of a nationwide crackdown on the terror outfit ISIS and arrested several persons, including Nachan.
The 81-year-old Tunda, a close aide of wanted terrorist Dawood Ibrahim, was accused of carrying out blasts in five trains in different cities in December 1993 to mark the first anniversary of the Babri Masjid demolition.
The Maharashtra Government on Thursday announced that the compensation for those injured in the July 13 triple bomb blasts in Mumbai has been revised upwardly.
The Thane unit of the ATS, with the assistance of the Thane rural police, started searches around 4 am at Padgha and Borivali villages in the district adjoining Mumbai, an official said without giving case details.
The Crime Branch had already detained the two -- identified as Jamir Sheikh and Sohail Sheikh.
One of the prime accused of the Mumbai serial train blasts in 2006 may have been involved in the Ahmedabad blasts. The intelligence agencies are trying to track Zulfikar Kagzi, a native of Rajasthan, and Sayyad Sheikh in connection with the Ahmedabad blasts.Kagzi is considered to be an expert in manufacturing bombs by using ammonium nitrate. Both accused were members of the banned outfit Students Islamic Movement of India.
'If major components of any dead body from which you can retrieve DNA is available, that is enough.'
Mukherjee has said that satellite pictures show active terror camps in Pakistan.
Those interested in donating blood may also log on to www.indianblooddonors.com
'They wanted the city to be a great business hub. They didn't like the fact that taxes collected in Bombay would go outside the city.'
A brief history of Mumbai's tryst with bomb blasts
A convict in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case, Jalees Ansari, who went "missing" while on parole, was arrested on Friday from Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh, an official said. Ansari (68), a Mumbai resident who was serving a life term in a Rajasthan jail, was nabbed in a joint operation by Maharashtra's Anti-Terrorism Sqaud and the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force (STF), he said.
In a new development in the 2003 Mumbai triple blasts case, the Bombay high court has cancelled the bail of Wahid Abdul Shaikh, one of the accused, observing that there was prima facie evidence against him.
The ISI strategy has been to use its proxies to target Hindus in India. They want an outrage and counter-targeting of India's minorities. Further, even the whiff of it restores the Pakistan army's popularity, especially when it's in the dumps, like now, points out Shekhar Gupta.
Uttam Potdar and Salim Mira Shaikh were held guilty of facilitating landing of arms and RDX at Dighi coast in Raigad in February 1993.
"Many things are clearer now after the investigation but it will take time to reach to the crux of the matter," he said.
Dr Singh said 'the government will not rest till the guilty are punished'.
Salem has accepted that his role was that of supplier of arms and ammunition.
Two of the accused in the July 11 Mumbai serial bomb blasts case were subjected to narco-analysis tests at the Lady Bowring and Curzon hospital in Bangalore for the second successive day on Thursday.
Three policemen have been suspended for alleged negligence in duty, taking cognisance of videos in which a sharpshooter of Lawrence Bishnoi gang interacts with reporters while in police custody and comments on Nationalist Congress Party leader Baba Siddique's killing, officials said on Saturday.
The story of the Bombay Stock Exchange and the people who shaped its growth: From wars and bomb blasts to speculators, reformers and wealth creators.
Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik telephoned his Indian counterpart P Chidambaram on Saturday and offered condolences on the loss of lives in Mumbai's triple bomb blasts while assuring his country's "fullest assistance".
An Anti-terrorism Squad from Maharashtra on Sunday visited several places in Bhatkal in Uttara Kannada district and questioned some persons as part of the investigation into the July 13 serial bomb blasts in Mumbai.
Imran Rehman Khan is believed to have fled to Dubai in October last year after leaving 'instructions' to carry out a blast at a crowded place.
The TADA court on Monday held an aide of Abu Salem guilty of carrying weapons from Sanjay Dutt's residence to the house of co-accused but acquitted another due to lack of evidence.
It's unlikely that human bombs were used in Wednesday's triple blasts in Mumbai. Vicky Nanjappa tells you why.
Salem had pleaded that he should be tried along with Sanjay and others while Central Bureau of Investigation argued that the trial should be separate.
The court also asked extradited gangster Abu Salem's to move the Supreme Court against the separation of the his case from the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.
The station was evacuated as a preventive measure.